Go Back   Mosets Community > Archives > Mosets Tree 2.2 > Discussions, Troubleshooting & Problems

Old 01-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Mosets'd

Default Show results in article

Sorry - not sure how to phrase this question.

I have categories ACCOMMODATION with sub-categories for TOWNS.

Each town also has its own article, with pictures, etc.

Is it possible to to have the listings for ACCOMMODATION/TOWN to appear on the towns article?

My thanks for any ideas.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Mosets'd

When you say "article" are you referring to a Joomla article? Mosets doesn't have a concept of an "article". If you mean a Joomla article, then how are you correlating an article to a Moset category?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Mosets'd

Yes - joomla articles.

I want to provide visitors with a Joomla article of information (straight text/images) about a town they may wish to visit, followed by an Accommodation listing that town, with the listing drawn from the appropriate Mosets Treee category.

In a PHP page, I would enter the content then search my database, with results being shown.

My site is www.eastgippslandonline.com.au (still under construction of course) and shows (I hope) what I am trying to do

My thanks for your assistance.

Paul
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Mosets'd

Ok makes much more sense now.

What you are describing is not possible to do out of the box. It would have to be custom coded. If you are a coder, below is one solution that comes to mind....

Create a module that would pull the data from the Mosets tables and display it accordingly in your Article. Then, you could position your module in a static location within your Joomla template or make a call using the "{loadposition XXX}" tag to make a call to the module from within each Article.

The difficult (and ugly) part will be how to associate an Article to its corresponding Mosets Listing. It would be nice if Joomla allowed passing variables to your modules when you call them using the loadposition tag (e.g. {loadposition user1 'los angeles'} or {loadposition user1 'new york'}), but unfortunately it doesn't. Hence, your module would have to somehow dynamically detect how to make this correlation. Two ways come to mind on how you could do this: 1) in your module have a free-form field that allows the admin to enter the relationships between a Joomla Article and a Mosets Listing. This means that any time you create a new Article you'd have to go into the module and add the relationship there. 2) Have the module contain some logic that detects the corresponding Mosets Listing based on URL or Article title or something else that is readily available at runtime.

Good luck
Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Mosets'd

Default Much appreciated

Hi mamamia

Thanks for great explanation. Methinks I will do what most cowards opt for, find an alternative design ie one I can do :-)

Thanks again

Last edited by paulmlynarz; 01-25-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-25-2012, 10:27 PM

Default Answer = MetaMod + mod_article

mamamia is on the right track with modules but perhaps there's a way to show articles based on Mtree Categories without coding. To do this I can think of two modules you could use to achieve it.

1. Look at mod_article by Digihaven this module enables you to put Content items inside a module and unlike other modules doing similar things mod_articles still allows you to run plugins within the articles which is handy if you want to extend things further.

2. Look at a module called MetaMod. MetaMod is quite simply brilliant in its simplicity. It enables you to place modules inside of itself but the magic happens when you can make those modules only appear to display certain things like an article in mod_article when a specific page is displayed.

This combination would enable you to show specific articles when Mtree is in a specific category. It might be a bit of work to make it happen but it can be done without coding. MetaMod is very well documented so with a bit of playing you should be able to achieve this.

I use MetaMod on a number of sites, on one site it enabled me to show product image galleries in a slideshow module when my shopping cart displayed specific products. The principal here is the same the generated URL in Joomla would have the category name or ID, MetaMod would be configured to show mod_article when that URL is achieved.

Hope this helps
Regards Steve
Developer of PaymentsPlus
Old 01-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Mosets'd

Default My thanks

Not sure about my skill levels but Much appreciated.
Will have a go!

paul