Go Back   Mosets Community > Third party Developers, Addons and Services for Mosets components > 3rd party addons & Custom Jobs

Old 09-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Mosets'd

Default FREE subType (subCategory) hack for Hot Property!

Do you need subTypes (subCategories) for your properties? You’ve got it!

Here you are:
1.For each type/category you can register any sub-type/category;
2.Hew Browse module will display type tree with number of properties;
BroseModule.JPG
3.Properties could be registered for both main (parent) type and its sub-types; SelectList.JPG
4.Parent type name will be displayed in property listings at the front-end, in the page title and navigation bar.

The code is free and is provided on the “as is” basis. It was tested on Joomla 1.0.11/12 Stable with HP 0.97/0.98 run on PHP4/5 and MySQL 4/5.

Please note, that in order to apply the “sub-type hack” successfully, you should be able to alter and manage your MySQL database, as the free version of the hack doesn’t include back-end type management feature.

If you need my assistance with installation, any further customization of this “sub-type” hack, and/or hack for the back-end type management, feel free to contact me at justPHP |at| gmail |dot| com.

HowTo get it:
1.Using phpMyAdmin, or any other tool for managing MySQL database, open table ‘_hp_prop_types’. After ‘id’ column add a field with name ‘parent’ of the same type – int(11). This column will contain id of the parent type. Main/parent types should have ‘parent’=0, all children types should have ‘parent’ being equal to ids of its parent type.
Look at the picture:
MySQLtable.JPG

2.Carefully read the attached instructions and apply hack as described in it.

3.If you are using Browse module for HP, uninstall it. Download and install new Browse module attached to the message.

4.Enjoy!

Again, the code is free and is given on ‘as is’ basis. You may contact me at justPHP |at| gmail |dot| com in case you need my assistance with hack installation, any further code customization, and/or hack for the back-end type management.

Also in addition to the back-end hack, the following front-side code enhancements are available for a small fee:
- displaying records registered under all subtypes which belong to a parent type when the parent type's link is clicked;
- disabling main (parent) types when a record is being added/edited;
- improving advanced search behavior when a main type is chosen as a search criteria (parent and its all subtypes will be searched).
- improving simple search code and making the search module working with SEF components

DEMO of the complete hack (front-end, back-end & optional hacks) is available on http://demo.justphp.net

Good luck!

CHANGE LOG
11-Dec-2007 Updated hacking instructions to version 1.1.1:
[+] added instruction to list property types hierarchy in simple search result page (added section 1.4)

17-Mar-2007 Updated hacking instructions to version 1.1.0:
[+] added code the advanced search page to display property types in tree-like manner (section 2.2 was added to the instructions)

03-Dec-2006 'Browse HP' module version 1.1.1 is released:
[!] minor update correcting the Itemid issue

30-Nov-2006 'Browse HP' module version 1.1.0 is released
What's new:
- option to show only subtypes of the current main type is available;
- you may choose whether to show or not the number of published properties and the total;
- improved CSS style management;
- different indent styles for subtypes could be applied;
- also, the new module supports multi-level subtypes (currently this feature is not supported by the free sub-types hack).

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip mod_HP_Browse_1_1_1.zip (3.5 KB, 957 views)
File Type: zip hack_subtype_front_v1_1_1.zip (65.7 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by gray; 12-12-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:07 AM

Question

Gray,

Great HACK!

I found it very easy to install following your instructions.

I do however have a few questions for you.

1. On the main HP page under the browse menu it says "_HP_TOTAL_PROP3"
But on the actual category/sub-category pages it says "Total: 3"

Do you know why it is not displaying correctly on the main page?

2. I have noticed that listings that are created under the sub-category do not show up under the parent category.

Do you know why this is? Is this how it is supposed to be?

Thanks again for this wonderful Hack!

Regards,

-iSellJerseyShore
Old 09-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Mosets'd

Quote:
I found it very easy to install following your instructions.
I'm glad to here this

Quote:
1. On the main HP page under the browse menu it says "_HP_TOTAL_PROP3"
But on the actual category/sub-category pages it says "Total: 3"
I mentioned in the instructions (6. \components\com_hotproperty\language\english.php), that if HP is not set as home page or new browse module is launched not only when HP component is run, you should update Joomla's language file.

Quote:
2. I have noticed that listings that are created under the sub-category do not show up under the parent category.
Please contact me at gray_mc2000[at]yahoo[dot]com if you need some adjustments to the hack.

Good luck!

Last edited by gray; 09-30-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:33 AM

Gray,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray
I mentioned in the instructions (6. \components\com_hotproperty\language\english.php), that if HP is not set as home page or new browse module is launched not only when HP component is run, you should update Joomla's language file.
Whoops!!! I had to re-read your instructions again, I overlooked that line... Thanks! Its now working!

Quote:
Is this how it is supposed to be?

Thanks Again!

-iSellJerseyShore

Last edited by iSellJerseyShore; 09-30-2006 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Mosets'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSellJerseyShore
Gray,

Do you know why this is? Is this how it is supposed to be?
Yes, and no
Basically, what I was asked to do is to make parent types with at least one sub-type not active. If a type has no sub-categories, it is active for adding new properties. But, for this public free hack I've decided to let all parent categories active.

Besides the above-mentioned 2 possible ways of treating sub-types, there at least 2 more:
- to give just links with subtypes names (as it's done in catalogs)
- to list properties of all sub-types
Old 10-06-2006, 05:26 PM

Great Hack!!!... really you give us a great help. Thanks man!!.

Anyone test this hack with Sef Advance?

Thanks again!.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Mosets'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelion
Great Hack!!!... really you give us a great help. Thanks man!!.

Anyone test this hack with Sef Advance?

Thanks again!.
You are most welcome!

As concerns the Sef Advance, if it supports HP, it will support the hack also, as my hack is fully based on HP's original code and sub-types scheme is realized with minimal changes to original tables.

Also, I noted that next release of OpenSEF (http://projects.j-prosolution.com/pr...-opensef.html), a free analog of Sef Advance, seems to support fully HP. Look at this message: http://forum.mosets.com/showthread.p...4383#post14383.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:44 PM

Thanks for this great hack.
Just one question though.

Is it right that I have to set subtypes in phpmyadmin directly?
I can't seem to find anywhere where I can make a type into a subtype after applying the hack.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Mosets'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvel View Post
Thanks for this great hack.
Just one question though.

Is it right that I have to set subtypes in phpmyadmin directly?
I can't seem to find anywhere where I can make a type into a subtype after applying the hack.
Yes, the free version of the hack does not include a back-end support. You should add a field 'parent' to table ‘_hp_prop_types’. All subtypes will have field 'parent' equal to 'id' of the main type. In their turn, main (parent) types will have field 'parent' = 0. Look at the 3rd picture in the first post for better understanding.

The back-end hack will allow you to manage types without phpMyAdmin:
main.JPG

Also, the code keeps database's integrity by a series of rules:
- parent types could not be deleted before subtype(s);
- parent type with subtype(s) could not be made a subtype of another parent type
- ordering is updated for both old and new 'parent id' groups if a type was moved from one 'parent id' to another;
maintype.JPG

And, properties could be quickly moved from a type to other:
subtype.JPG
Old 10-31-2006, 10:03 AM

Hi again

Thanks for your reply. I have implemented the hack and it works fine. However it is a bit tidy to arrange types and subtypes through phpmyadmin.

You said the free version does not include backend support. Does this mean that there is a commercial version?

and if so, how much does it cost and where can I buy it?

Thanks,
Old 11-03-2006, 08:31 PM

Question Show/Hide subcategory

Great work!!

I have lots of parent_category and 5 sub_category under each of them... is it possible to integrate to mod_hp_browse.php same function like in main menu of Joomla, when sub_category are shown only when parent_category is active and other sub_category under unactive parent_category are hiden???

many thanks! bye
Old 11-10-2006, 05:39 AM

Has anybody some idea how to show in BrowseModule under "mainlevel" all items from MAINLEVEL and from all SUBLEVELS also???
thnx
Old 11-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Mosets'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallnet View Post
Great work!!

I have lots of parent_category and 5 sub_category under each of them... is it possible to integrate to mod_hp_browse.php same function like in main menu of Joomla, when sub_category are shown only when parent_category is active and other sub_category under unactive parent_category are hiden???

many thanks! bye
The new 'Browse HP' module version 1.1.0 supports this feature; in addition to:
- you may choose whether to show or not number of published properties and the total;
- improved CSS style management;
- also, the new module supports multi-level subtypes (currently this feature is not supported by the free sub-types hack).

The new module is attached to the first post of this thread.

Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Great! Thanks!

Gray,

I installed both the hack provided in this thread as well as the backend hack to properly display and manage categories and sub-categories in the administrator panels.

Directions were easy to follow and I had both hacks installed and running perfect in less than 10 minutes.

I am further customizing some of the code and found yoru code well organized and clean - made my job easy!

Thanks for all you do!

- Katrina
Old 01-21-2007, 10:40 PM

Lightbulb

This hack sounds very interesting and should be integrated in the normal version.
There are only 2 questions left:
First question: Is it possible, to modify the code in order to have an unlimited number of levels? like a subsubsubsubsubcategory?
Second Question: Can I add some fields to teh category so I can provide information about this category if it is opened...?

thx,
mat-c
Old 01-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Mosets'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat-c View Post
This hack sounds very interesting and should be integrated in the normal version.
Yes, it works with HP 0.97 and 0.98

Quote:
First question: Is it possible, to modify the code in order to have an unlimited number of levels? like a subsubsubsubsubcategory?
Good news: Yes, it's possible
Very good news: The module I posted here already supports multi-level categories
Not bad news: It's easier to develop the "front part" of the code for multi-level categories, than it's "back-end" component (of cause, all is relative )

Quote:
Second Question: Can I add some fields to teh category so I can provide information about this category if it is opened...?
Each category has a description field (HP has it originally), so you could use this field to add your comments. As regards showing this text not only on the front page (as it's done by HP), some additional hacking might be required.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Hello Gray!

I hack it that write up, and not works. Please help, and send php filse!

Again admin.hotpropert.html.php files needn't edit?

Very Thanks!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:47 AM
Mosets'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amury View Post
I hack it that write up, and not works. Please help, and send php filse!
Making the "final hacked" files available for download is not a good practice, because of at least 2 reasons:
- their version could differ from the version of the HP run on a particular site
- if some other hacks were applied before in these files you will simply loose them
Applying the hack "manually" helps to avoid these potential problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amury View Post
Again admin.hotpropert.html.php files needn't edit?
No. Only admin.hotproperty.php from the "admin" should be hacked as described in the instructions.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:38 PM

Default clone of type-function

i have another question: is it possible to "clone" the type-function? I would need another kind of categories to sort in my items, similar to the types. is this possible?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Mosets'd

Quote:
i have another question: is it possible to "clone" the type-function? I would need another kind of categories to sort in my items, similar to the types. is this possible?
I think it's rather difficult to simply "clone" the types function.
It'll be necessary to add new core field, to add new table for data about this new "type" and to hack HP files.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:27 AM
Mosets'd

The hacking instructions were updated with code making the advanced search page to display property types in tree-like manner.

The instructions are attached to the first post of the thread.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:19 PM

I'd need to display subtypes properties belonging to a same parent type as a whole list.
Since Gray said
3.Properties could be registered for both main (parent) type and its sub-types;
is there anyone able to tell me how to do it?
If there's a url query derived to this one
http://www.testsite.com/index.php?op...e&id=3&Itemid=
http://www.testsite.com/index.php?op...rent=2&Itemid=
which could fit, please write it down!!
Old 05-03-2007, 12:14 AM

the solution to my problem was connected to a custom job made by Gray, which completely fit my needs and I must say kudos to him: he's a very good professional, always on schedule, serious and also worth the expense!
BTW I'm not getting anything for this post...
Old 06-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Mosets'd

Default Fantastic Modules - Excellent Service

Just to let you know that I have been using on various occasion the services of Gray and that I found him to be very responsive to problems or issues and that he really helped me on the development of my web site.

Thanks Gray...

I encourage everybody to consider his expertise in HP...
Old 06-21-2007, 03:22 PM

I'd just like to say that I bought Gray's modifications for the front and back end. And they work great, plus I asked him if there could be a change to the property manager page in HPs backend, so that it would show the type > subtype, so you can see at a glance if the type the property is in is a subtype or not.

Gray did the modifications and sent them through within a few hours. Very helpful... and saves me having to try and do it myself!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:11 PM

Unhappy Subtypes in the page

I would like the subtypes to be shown in the page when clicking in parent type. How do I do?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Mosets'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianojc View Post
I would like the subtypes to be shown in the page when clicking in parent type. How do I do?
By request of several customers of mine, I developed an additional hack for this purpose. It's available for a small fee.

PS. If you are going to develop it by yourself, change the SQL statement selecting properties to include all types of the selected parent type - AND (type1 OR type2 OR type3).
Old 07-06-2007, 10:23 PM

Question Price and payment for Hacks

Which the total price for the hacks?
1) Subtypes in the Back-end.
2) Subtypes to be shown in the page when clicking in parent type.

Tanks!
Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 AM
Mosets'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianojc View Post
Which the total price for the hacks?
1) Subtypes in the Back-end.
2) Subtypes to be shown in the page when clicking in parent type.

Tanks!
Please contact me at justPHP-at-gmail-dot-com.
Thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Mosets'd

Already 5,000 views of the thread and over 500 downloads of my hack
Thanks!