Go Back   Mosets Community > Archives > Mosets Hot Property 1.0 > Discussions, Troubleshooting and Problems

Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 AM
Mosets'd

Default Fehler in defines.php

/administrator/components/com_hotproperty/includes/defines.php

Sorry guys but how can you make so obvious errors. One file and 25 errors. I know this is a BETA but really, this should not have been released
Code:
define( 'HOTPROPERTY_MEDIA_IMAGES_COMPANY',					HOTPROPERTY_MEDIA_IMAGES . DS . JPath::clean('company') );
define( 'HOTPROPERTY_MEDIA_IMAGES_COMPANY_URL',				HOTPROPERTY_MEDIA_IMAGES_URL . 'company/' );
You either use DS or you dont, but having 2 line one after the other and STILL hard coding the / sign.

It was released on the 31.12 so maybe they have already been a bit drunk

(I must still be drunk as I write the title in german)

Last edited by rtenny; 01-03-2009 at 06:24 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 01-03-2009, 07:30 AM

Hi rtenny,

I've just reviewed the file you mentionned, but I haven't seen any inconsistency :
  • as its name suggests, DS (DirectorySeparator) constant is used to delimit file paths
  • while '/' is used as a URL delimiter
Since I've never seen any backslash in a URL, I think we can legitimately use '/' in our URL constants...
Old 01-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Mosets'd

Oh Oh,

this proves that I am the one that is still drunk.

Thanks for this lesson.
keep up the good work
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Mosets'd

Thumbs up

Happy New Year anyhow and hope you are not drunk for further coding and welcome to the forum Mr Bernier!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Mosets'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernier View Post
Hi rtenny,

I've just reviewed the file you mentionned, but I haven't seen any inconsistency :
  • as its name suggests, DS (DirectorySeparator) constant is used to delimit file paths
  • while '/' is used as a URL delimiter
Since I've never seen any backslash in a URL, I think we can legitimately use '/' in our URL constants...
I have, when testing in my local machine as localhost.

Sergio
Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 AM

Hi Sergio,

Please consider that article, here is an extract:
Quote:
It is a common error to use "\" instead of "/" in URLs, as in href="..\index.html" instead of the correct href="../index.html". Further confusion is caused by the phenomenon that some browsers accept the incorrect format too, so people complain that "my links work on IE but not on Netscape". This isn't about HTML itself however; it's about misunderstanding the relationship between URLs and filenames and their syntax
Which browser are you using?
Waiting for your thoughts about it...

Regards
Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Mosets'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernier View Post
Hi Sergio,

Please consider that article, here is an extract:

Which browser are you using?
Waiting for your thoughts about it...

Regards
I understand this.
In any url, it must be "/", but, when referenced to a local storage file or folder, it must be "\" (except, by example, linux os).
I had this problem with hp beta3. It was using the DS (as it was in original source code) and I had no thumbnails pictures in my properties (in frontend and backend), when using a localhost system, implemented with xamp, in my machine (for testing and develop purpose).
I tested with k-meleon and IE 7, as far I remember (for sure with k-meleon - it's lighter).
After I hardcoded the "/" in place of the DS, all worked fine.
I think that this was, maybe, a Joomla problem

Sergio
Old 01-05-2009, 03:25 AM

1. '/' is for URLs
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssaguiar
    In any url, it must be "/"
    Yes, that's why in our _URL constants, we just hard code this, like in:
    PHP Code:
    define'HOTPROPERTY_SITE_URL'JURI::root() . 'components/com_hotproperty/' ); 
  2. 'DS' is for paths
    Quote:
    but, when referenced to a local storage file or folder, it must be "\" (except, by example, linux os)
    This is exactly the purpose of DS which is an alias of the PHP DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR constant, and which is a variable to the right directory separator token:
    PHP Code:
    DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS,0,3)=='WIN')?'\\':'/' 
    In other words, DS value is set to:
    • '\' when your Joomla runs on Windows
    • '/' otherwise
What about me?
Quote:
I had this problem with hp beta3. It was using the DS (as it was in original source code) and I had no thumbnails pictures in my properties (in frontend and backend), when using a localhost system, implemented with xamp, in my machine (for testing and develop purpose).
I tested with k-meleon and IE 7, as far I remember (for sure with k-meleon - it's lighter).
After I hardcoded the "/" in place of the DS, all worked fine.
Yes, and after 1. and 2. this is logical, let me explain...

When you say 'thumbnail' you refer to an 'img' tag, which has a 'src' attribute and which expects an URL as value. And whoever says URL means only solidus characters in it(according to 1.), so no DS constant here, just hard-coded '/': case made!

Conclusion
Before Beta4, we were not using HOTPROPERTY_CONSTANTS, and we could have made mistakes with DS usage, but now, with that defines.php file, all is centralized and should be now ok, both for paths and URLs.

Nota Bene
In some paths constants, like:
PHP Code:
define'HOTPROPERTY_BASE'JPATH_BASE DS JPath::clean('components/com_hotproperty') ); 
you can see some '/' in components/com_hotproperty, but no worry, the JPath::clean method substitutes them with the DS value (libraries/joomla/filesystem/path.php line 175):
PHP Code:
// Remove double slashes and backslahses and convert all slashes and backslashes to DS
$path preg_replace('#[/\\\\]+#'$ds$path); 
Hope everything is clear now

Cheers
Old 01-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Mosets'd

Quote:
In other words, DS value is set to:

* '\' when your Joomla runs on Windows
* '/' otherwise
Maybe the problem was because I use xamp as it runs in windows, and, in reality, i's a full server (apache, php and mysql)...??? Just thinking loud....

Quote:
Hope everything is clear now

Cheers
Yep.

Sergio